Friday 3 May 2013

lesson 61 how to say 'I had' in Hebrew

lesson 61 
how to say 'I had' in Hebrew
                                                   

Tel Aviv Panorama, Israel Stock Photo - Image: 19466410


Tel Aviv panorama


the format of the lessons is going to change a bit from here on. At the moment I have much less time so I will skip on the Hebrew Alphabet and write the blog posts and the memrise lessons only in the English transcription. So there won't be any more lesson pairs, just individual lessons and the memrise course is also only written with the English keyboard.




today we're looking into an interesting bit of Hebrew grammar: how to say
'I had'
Let's repeat the present of 'to have':  yesh li  = there is for me  I have
                                               
   
for the construction of the past tense we need the verb 'to be' conjugated in the past. But the form of the conjugated verb  needs to be in accordance with the object of possession and not with the subject who possesses it. Meaning, the verb is conjugated depending on the number and gender of the object and has nothing to do with the subject. This needs a bit of time and practice to get used to and so we'll only do the singular in this post and the plural in the next.


hayah li machshev
he was for me a computer
I had a computer


haytah li mechonit
 she was for me a car
I had a car


So here are the examples I am using in the memrise exercises, to really fix the structure of 'to have' in the past in your long term memory, plus it's a good way to repeat some nouns and adjectives we've done in the past. I am only translating the first four. The rest is too easy.


hayah li moreh me'anyen              I had an interesting teacher (masc.)

haytah li morah me'anyenet          I had an intersting teacher (fem.)

hayah li rofeh tov                           I had a good doctor (masc.)

haytah li rofah tovah                      I had a good doctor (fem.)

hayah li sefer gadol

haytah li tmounah yafah

hayah li bait yafeh

haytah li ir ktanah

hayah li talmid chacham

haytah li talmidah chachamah

hayah li chaver chadash

haytah li chaverah chadashah



No comments:

Post a Comment